Skip to main content

Google Guru Wannabees #1


Since my friends became acquainted with Google Apps For Education, I couldn't help but become enchanted with the idea of exploring Google and taking my digital education to new heights. I was encouraged to attend a Google Summit and that was it. I contracted the Google bug. From there things seemed to go Google crazy. My school jumped on the 1:1 bandwagon and Chromebooks became part of the classroom. Although I had a learnt a little over the years, it became apparent that it was not enough. I need to learn more if I am going to continually challenge students and staff to venture out and do the same.

Happily for me several members of the staff at my school have graciously agreed to come on a Google journey with me. Our first step is to take the 'Learn the Basics' lessons and tests. Step two, become 'Google Educators' and perhaps move on to step 3, which is becoming 'Google Certified Trainers'. Fasten your seat belts because we are about to go for a ride.

Two heads are better than one! Putting aside time every week can be difficult to do, so we are going to do it together. Our team will meet once a week to: look at the lessons, discuss them, study and then take the tests. Every week we will have tasks and our meetings will be on Tuesdays from 3:45-4:45p.m. This blog will keep you updated as to what we will be learning each week. Those that cannot join us weekly are welcome to join us online. Message, questions, and comments can be left on this page.

Meeting #1: September 23rd in the media centre (B-219)
We will be looking at: Gmail, Calendar, Docs & Drive
The lessons are found at: http://www.google.ca/edu/training/certifications/

We hope that you will join in!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Makes You Credible? #SAVMP

Why should I give you a chance? Can I rely on you? Why should I trust you? Have you ever felt like those questions were/are the unsaid or unheard 'elephant in the room'? Over the past 3 and a half years I have been on a journey to build credibility with my staff and colleagues. I entered the school not only as a new addition to the staff, but new to the position. It seemed like I would never get to a place where people could trust me or feel like I was able to help support the staff effectively. I have to say that this has been a difficult blog for me to write. I am not sure if I have figured out the formula for credibility. At this stage in my career I find myself reflecting on my practices weekly and wondering what areas need to change. With all the recent changes,  my credibility is definitely on my mind. The more articles I read and the more people I spoke to, made me realize that I need to hone in on specific areas if I want to grow in terms of my leadership. I

Bringing Parents Into The Learning Process #SAVMP

I have to confess, upon receiving this blog challenge I resorted to research. There was a lot of literature about why parents should get involved. There were also suggestions given as to how you can get parents from middle-upper  class communities involved. Gaining parent involvement in a low socioeconomic community has always been a challenge for me (and my research did not result successfully in this area). I have been very fortunate to work with an incredible staff. Our staff continually forges relationships with the students and their parents. Keeping the lines of communication open through positive feedback and social media seems to have increased parental awareness of school information and activities. It is great to have parents commenting on facebook posts of activities in the school or even ask questions about school life. This has proven to be an open door to communication. In order to further forge relationships with parents we had to get creative. We invite them ou

Bringing About Change is Tricky Business #SAVMP

1. "It's just the kids and I." After my last post in February, I set out to make some changes because I realized that the staff did not feel empowered  and that change was necessary in order to move forward. As I searched for ways to empower the staff it became evident that some teacher's strengths were being overlooked. The methodology and pedagogy behind technology in the classroom are new to many teachers in my school.  It turns out that there are several staff members that can give digital literacy & pedagogy workshops to their colleagues. Their willingness to do so provided opportunities for staff to feel empowered and proved to be successful. Why did I bring this up? Well, it opened the lines of communication amongst staff members and enabled them to collaborate. Unit planning no longer takes place in isolation; collaboration is becoming more common place. If someone would have asked me if this kind of collaboration could occur two years ago I would have