Skip to main content

What Makes You Credible? #SAVMP



Why should I give you a chance? Can I rely on you? Why should I trust you? Have you ever felt like those questions were/are the unsaid or unheard 'elephant in the room'? Over the past 3 and a half years I have been on a journey to build credibility with my staff and colleagues. I entered the school not only as a new addition to the staff, but new to the position. It seemed like I would never get to a place where people could trust me or feel like I was able to help support the staff effectively.

I have to say that this has been a difficult blog for me to write. I am not sure if I have figured out the formula for credibility. At this stage in my career I find myself reflecting on my practices weekly and wondering what areas need to change. With all the recent changes, my credibility is definitely on my mind. The more articles I read and the more people I spoke to, made me realize that I need to hone in on specific areas if I want to grow in terms of my leadership. I am challenging myself to work on three areas:

1) Stating my core values. If my staff and colleagues are aware of what I believe in and what I stand for, they will be able have a better understanding of how I think. It will also explain why I make certain decisions. I have been trying to take it a step further by ensuring that my core values are aligned with the school's vision and mission. 

2) Being transparent. I need to make sure that I share as much information as possible. This means that I make more time to follow up with staff on decisions that have been made, such as: sharing the plans put in place (by the support staff, outside resources, parents, or by the administration), the result of meetings or administrative interventions, etc. In the end it is about making time to have follow up conversations and fostering an atmosphere of open communication.

3) Being myself. I am enthusiastic about education and being an educator. The love and care that educators exude is what makes schools successful. That passion is what excites me to be at school every day. I need to remind myself of the latter, because if that light dims people notice and are not sure if they can depend on me.

So this is my personal challenge. I will take it one day at a time and welcome suggestions.

Comments

  1. Great post Natasha. You hit the credibility nail right on the head. Trust. It takes many deeds to build it and one to destroy it. Students, parents and staff need know where you stand on issues. They don't need to agree with you, just know where you stand. Talk about what you believe. And, just when you feel like you can't possibly say it again, say it again. When people think about you and talk about you (and they will) that's what they will think and talk about. What you stand for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Natasha! Like Patrick, I think you really hit on the important issue: trust. Someone recently posted a challenge to administrators: do your staff trust you? How do you know? And if they don't, how will you fix that? I believe you made the points: sharing what you stand for, being transparent & communicating with stakeholders. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay true to yourself even in the face of adversity I say.....and I, for one, certainly know now what that means, eh?

    Having ‘core values’ and sharing them with the staff is definitely something worthwhile doing. However, do remember that it is as important to consolidate common values that you may have with your staff. These common values are what will direct your team in the same (upward/forward) direction. Common values inevitably become shared vision. They are your driving force.

    In regards to personality traits in leaders, being transparent is definitely a biggy. Trustworthy is another in my books and I am sure other people value other traits in leaders as well. However, I’ve learned that personality traits are just not enough. Your actions need to speak volume. I love the works of Posner and Kouzes on leadership. I used to quote them all the time when I did my studies in University. What they have said is that you need to do 5 things in order to be credible: Model the Way, Inspire a Share Vision, Challenge the Process, Enable others to act, and Encourage the heart (http://bit.ly/1pQNsLk). You do that already, so stick to your plan.

    Lastly, the social representation of educational leaders is by far homogenous. What one views as the true picture of professional leadership is different than someone else’s perception. Even your vision of an educational leader will evolve over time because you are constructing your professional identity. We take and leave what we like about what we do…..and it is ok to change. So when I say `stay true to yourself`, I mean be who you are based on what you believe in. If your belief system changes along the way because you have embraced something that is positively different, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great comments. It gives me a few things to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bringing Parents Into The Learning Process #SAVMP

I have to confess, upon receiving this blog challenge I resorted to research. There was a lot of literature about why parents should get involved. There were also suggestions given as to how you can get parents from middle-upper  class communities involved. Gaining parent involvement in a low socioeconomic community has always been a challenge for me (and my research did not result successfully in this area). I have been very fortunate to work with an incredible staff. Our staff continually forges relationships with the students and their parents. Keeping the lines of communication open through positive feedback and social media seems to have increased parental awareness of school information and activities. It is great to have parents commenting on facebook posts of activities in the school or even ask questions about school life. This has proven to be an open door to communication. In order to further forge relationships with parents we had to get creative. We invite them ou

Bringing About Change is Tricky Business #SAVMP

1. "It's just the kids and I." After my last post in February, I set out to make some changes because I realized that the staff did not feel empowered  and that change was necessary in order to move forward. As I searched for ways to empower the staff it became evident that some teacher's strengths were being overlooked. The methodology and pedagogy behind technology in the classroom are new to many teachers in my school.  It turns out that there are several staff members that can give digital literacy & pedagogy workshops to their colleagues. Their willingness to do so provided opportunities for staff to feel empowered and proved to be successful. Why did I bring this up? Well, it opened the lines of communication amongst staff members and enabled them to collaborate. Unit planning no longer takes place in isolation; collaboration is becoming more common place. If someone would have asked me if this kind of collaboration could occur two years ago I would have