Skip to main content

Critical Conversation #SAVMP

I use to dread serious conversations with staff. I always felt like I needed to handle everything right away. I have learnt that time is not always my enemy. I can report an incident to a parent and explain that I will call them back when I have fully investigated; only then will I come to a final decision on the matter at hand. In the same respect I can let a staff member know that I will be addressing the issue at a later time so that they can reflect on what took place. I find that this helps me achieve the best outcome possible.

Another misconception I had was that administrators operate in isolation. Brainstorm solutions to tricky/uncomfortable situations with other administrators. Doing the latter has allowed me to tap into wisdom, knowledge, and experience that have been invaluable. In most circumstances others have faced similar situations or can give a different perspective because they are looking in from the outside.

When it finally comes to taking action my two main goals are usually to: diffuse the situation and to make a change for the best. Once I begin talking to the staff member I clearly state my goals so that we are on the same page; I want them to reflect on what has transpired and agree that a change must be made. In order for them to be part of the solution I ask how we can continue on a different path from this point on. If they do not offer suggestions, I work with them to come up with them.

Schools need to be a safe place for everyone. Having critical conversations lets our school community know that safety is paramount and that everyone is held accountable for their behaviour and actions. Once this is established learning can return to being our central focus.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Makes You Credible? #SAVMP

Why should I give you a chance? Can I rely on you? Why should I trust you? Have you ever felt like those questions were/are the unsaid or unheard 'elephant in the room'? Over the past 3 and a half years I have been on a journey to build credibility with my staff and colleagues. I entered the school not only as a new addition to the staff, but new to the position. It seemed like I would never get to a place where people could trust me or feel like I was able to help support the staff effectively. I have to say that this has been a difficult blog for me to write. I am not sure if I have figured out the formula for credibility. At this stage in my career I find myself reflecting on my practices weekly and wondering what areas need to change. With all the recent changes,  my credibility is definitely on my mind. The more articles I read and the more people I spoke to, made me realize that I need to hone in on specific areas if I want to grow in terms of my leadership. I

Bringing Parents Into The Learning Process #SAVMP

I have to confess, upon receiving this blog challenge I resorted to research. There was a lot of literature about why parents should get involved. There were also suggestions given as to how you can get parents from middle-upper  class communities involved. Gaining parent involvement in a low socioeconomic community has always been a challenge for me (and my research did not result successfully in this area). I have been very fortunate to work with an incredible staff. Our staff continually forges relationships with the students and their parents. Keeping the lines of communication open through positive feedback and social media seems to have increased parental awareness of school information and activities. It is great to have parents commenting on facebook posts of activities in the school or even ask questions about school life. This has proven to be an open door to communication. In order to further forge relationships with parents we had to get creative. We invite them ou

Bringing About Change is Tricky Business #SAVMP

1. "It's just the kids and I." After my last post in February, I set out to make some changes because I realized that the staff did not feel empowered  and that change was necessary in order to move forward. As I searched for ways to empower the staff it became evident that some teacher's strengths were being overlooked. The methodology and pedagogy behind technology in the classroom are new to many teachers in my school.  It turns out that there are several staff members that can give digital literacy & pedagogy workshops to their colleagues. Their willingness to do so provided opportunities for staff to feel empowered and proved to be successful. Why did I bring this up? Well, it opened the lines of communication amongst staff members and enabled them to collaborate. Unit planning no longer takes place in isolation; collaboration is becoming more common place. If someone would have asked me if this kind of collaboration could occur two years ago I would have