Skip to main content

The Big T (TRUST) #SAVMP

I think that we can all agree that TRUST is something that is valued within our school walls. How can a new administrator work towards building trust with a staff? I wanted to think of a great response to blog about, but I simply can't. I am that new administrator (new to the school and new to the profession), so I am trying to slowly earn my staff's trust. Instead of fumbling through this I decided to ask some staff members what they thought. This blog entry is their answers to the question.

Michèle
"Being open minded, non judgemental, being a good listener, appreciative and above all, accept them the way they are and work on making the best out of them.  Make them feel that you are all part of the same team."

Amanda
"I base my trust on actions and consistency. In terms of how to work towards building trust, I guess it means making yourself vulnerable at times, and allowing yourself to put people in situations where you see how the deal with said situation. For example, asking a group of teachers to take something on, and see how they go about it, what results are accomplished, and how in line that is with what you expected or needed in the first place... I trust everyone, until they prove me otherwise, and I guess in many cases, people disappoint and I ask less of them. I think you also need to make a distinction between trust, and how much you like someone. You can trust a coworker, but not really agree with them on fundamental things. Ideally though, it is easier to trust someone that has a common goal as you... [From] an administrative standpoint, actions in the end will be the easiest way to build trust. Putting yourself out there is the only way to see what kind of results are possible, and seeking the help out of teachers is always a good way for them to know that you at least respect them enough to accomplish what is is you are asking of them. Respecting someone in itself is some level of trust."

Richie 
"Well the first thing I notice is, are they being supportive? When it comes to special needs students is the person all talk or is he or she a "doer"? Are they consistent when it comes to punishment? When it comes to making decisions can they follow through even though other colleagues might get upset? I really like when an administrator values and seeks opinions of colleagues as opposed to having a closed door policy. It's also nice to see the "real person" inside an administrators body.  The dictator approach can turn people away but at the same time some staff look to administrators to be that way all the time - I don't.  I like when we can problem solve together and agree to disagree.  Feeling comfortable about approaching an administrator is important. Some will say "my door is always open" but sometimes actions do  not match the words.  Most people can see if the person is genuine or not which goes hand in hand with being open and honest. Most of all can we have a laugh together sometimes!"

Sabrina
"When I first read the question my first thought was: "Don't let a little authority go to your head". I know not all new administrators start off as teachers but as for my work experience everyone I've worked for has taught first. One thing I've noticed is some forget how they got where they are. You were once a teacher and everyone that works under you remembers or knows that. The complaints you once had as a teacher are now the complaints you have to deal with, be patient. Be consistent with both students and staff. One thing I love about some administrators is PRESENCE. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say if your needed you're there not 50, 75 or 80 percent but 100. People notice things like that. Being fair, listening and not always being "the boss" be the colleague."

Miranda
"Trust is something a lot of educators claim to want from an administrator, but rarely is it expressed on how it can be achieved. Trust to me is synonymous with respecting and believing in the person as an individual and a professional.  I've worked in an environment where the administrator had to have the final say in everything. It made the staff feel as though they were useless and incapable to have someone loom over their shoulders and question every handout, every assignment, every grade.  It did not make for a positive environment and led to resentment in some cases.

It makes a difference if there is a relationship between the admin and the staff. Frequent communication fosters an open discussion about how things are going and where we may encounter struggles.  It really helps to know that not only are we being heard, but someone is routing for us to succeed. Expressing the desire for supplies that could make our teaching task easier and having these supplies materialize for our use is like having an angel watching over us; they may not always be seen, but they hear what you're saying and understand your needs. Schools where teachers and administrators work TOGETHER instead of FOR each other have a much more positive environment and  greater things can be achieved."

Isabelle
"Trust, in my opinion, happens in different ways. One way is showing staff that you are willing to take risks, and if they perceive that you took those risks and fire & brimstone did not come crashing down your head, then they will follow you and trust you. It's the willingness to put your neck on the line first that will show others (or at least some, because we all know that some just won't care) that you can be trusted.

But for that to happen, and this is a biggie, everyone needs to understand that we are all equal. In everything. No one is above or below. No one is a boss of another person. We are simply different players on a very large team, and we all have tasks that will allow the team to reach their goal. It's that equal footing, and the understanding of each others' tasks and responsibilities towards the common goal, that will allow staff to say "Hey, admin is not much different from me. We all deal with kids, and we want them to succeed. How are going to reach that goal together?" Knowing that we are in it together and that we are not trying to sabotage each others' efforts will bring forth a climate of trust. That, above all, is in my opinion key to trust. Respecting the fact that we are all living the same reality, albeit from different perspectives and with different responsibilities."

Maria
What came to mind when I read your email was that similar to being a parent and/or teacher in building trust with our kids/students, an administrator needs to be consistent when upholding a standard of practice or integrity. When that is lost, we begin to question their leadership and trust then, wavers and wanes. 

Jocelyne
"Je crois que pour bâtir la confiance avec le personnel, vous devez vous considérer comme un`coach', un entraîneur d'équipe. Vous voulez que votre équipe gagne et les joueurs veulent gagner aussi.  
Tout le monde travaille dans le même but avec leurs forces et leurs faiblesses. Faire beaucoup de réunions avec tous les joueurs de l'équipe et réviser les plans de match ensemble."

Louise
"I think a new administrator needs to get to know his/her staff so that he can earn their trust... [They need to know] what their personal goals, issues, etc are and then to support them. [I need them to] be true, not a fake person that`s just pretending to care."

Joanna
"In my opinion, in order for a new administrator to build trust with the staff (for starters) is to be friendly and approachable.  That way staff will most likely be more willing to discuss issues with the administrator, and from those discussions trust can be built.  If the administrator actively listened, contributed to the discussion in a respectful way, and gave honest feedback, this would contribute to building trust."

Michael
Michael came to see me, and expressed his response to my question. This is what he wanted to convey (loosely paraphrased). Trust is something that has to be earned. That being said, he stated that initially he starts off by trusting and then if it the trust is broken it needs to re-gained (more specifically earned). This can be applied for students and administrators. He stated that at his present school of employment the administrators are present, they know the students (by name and have relationships with them), they have good communication skills, and they are consistent with discipline. This is why he continues to trust the administrators.


I have learnt so much from these incredible people!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Makes You Credible? #SAVMP

Why should I give you a chance? Can I rely on you? Why should I trust you? Have you ever felt like those questions were/are the unsaid or unheard 'elephant in the room'? Over the past 3 and a half years I have been on a journey to build credibility with my staff and colleagues. I entered the school not only as a new addition to the staff, but new to the position. It seemed like I would never get to a place where people could trust me or feel like I was able to help support the staff effectively. I have to say that this has been a difficult blog for me to write. I am not sure if I have figured out the formula for credibility. At this stage in my career I find myself reflecting on my practices weekly and wondering what areas need to change. With all the recent changes,  my credibility is definitely on my mind. The more articles I read and the more people I spoke to, made me realize that I need to hone in on specific areas if I want to grow in terms of my leadership. I

Bringing Parents Into The Learning Process #SAVMP

I have to confess, upon receiving this blog challenge I resorted to research. There was a lot of literature about why parents should get involved. There were also suggestions given as to how you can get parents from middle-upper  class communities involved. Gaining parent involvement in a low socioeconomic community has always been a challenge for me (and my research did not result successfully in this area). I have been very fortunate to work with an incredible staff. Our staff continually forges relationships with the students and their parents. Keeping the lines of communication open through positive feedback and social media seems to have increased parental awareness of school information and activities. It is great to have parents commenting on facebook posts of activities in the school or even ask questions about school life. This has proven to be an open door to communication. In order to further forge relationships with parents we had to get creative. We invite them ou

Bringing About Change is Tricky Business #SAVMP

1. "It's just the kids and I." After my last post in February, I set out to make some changes because I realized that the staff did not feel empowered  and that change was necessary in order to move forward. As I searched for ways to empower the staff it became evident that some teacher's strengths were being overlooked. The methodology and pedagogy behind technology in the classroom are new to many teachers in my school.  It turns out that there are several staff members that can give digital literacy & pedagogy workshops to their colleagues. Their willingness to do so provided opportunities for staff to feel empowered and proved to be successful. Why did I bring this up? Well, it opened the lines of communication amongst staff members and enabled them to collaborate. Unit planning no longer takes place in isolation; collaboration is becoming more common place. If someone would have asked me if this kind of collaboration could occur two years ago I would have