Skip to main content

On a Mission for a Vision #SAVMP

I use to wonder if people cared about having a vision. Do people really think about it? Or, was it that thing that we (our committee) spent hours thinking up, but could never remember or refer to? There are all kinds of quotes that support having a vision, like:

"Where there is no vision, the people perish." Proverbs 29:18
Where there is no vision, there is no hope.  - George Washington Carver
"It’s not what the vision is, it’s what the vision does." -  Senge
"A true leader is one who designs the cathedral and then shares the vision that inspires others to build it." - Jan Carlzon 

As a new administrator I have to confess that having a vision was not at the top of my list. Being in a new school and  a rookie to the job, I thought that I could simply work on the short term goals that had been set out for me. Looking back I can see that achievements and strides were made, but I had no real foresight. To be honest, I was constantly in survival mode. In the midst of all that, I was trying my best to forge relationships with the students and teachers in order to accomplish all that I could in a timely fashion (a constant work in progress).This is the first time that I am sitting down to really think about the school vision, as well as my personal vision.

At the end of last year my school improvement committee created a new vision:
 "A community of learners in pursuit of excellence". It took me a while to fully grasp the vision. I needed to remind myself that everyone in my building is a learner, and that we need to work together to be the best that we can be. The question is, how do I bring the vision to life? In the end if I want a vision to be realized it needs to be something that is constantly on our minds, on the walls surrounding us and spoken about regularly.

In terms of my personal vision, I rummaged through several books, online articles and blogs in hopes that I would get ideas. I quickly realized that I had many goals, but they were not necessarily a vision. The one theme that re-appeared was that of innovation.Thus a vision was born:
 "A Community of Contagious Innovators". I want students, and staff (including myself) to:

1.     Put ourselves out there. Take risks. 
2.    Feel comfortable to fail and learn from it.


I would love ideas and thoughts to ooze out of people, creating a learning environment that reaches beyond what we could imagine. I know that with a vision I can help shepherd people in a shared direction.

Comments

  1. I love that second point "Feel comfortable to fail and learn from it" People are so uncomfortable with failing - but it produces some of the best ideas and inventions of our times! How on earth do you let people know it is ok to mess up?

    I have grade 3 this year and I want them to feel that it is ok to be wrong...I have to make sure that I create an environment where they feel safe to take risks and make mistakes. I think that is the best lesson I can teach them as their teacher this year.

    The same needs to be said for my teachers - they need to feel like our school is a place where they can take risks and try new things. They need to feel like our school is a place where they can grow and learn.
    thanks for your post - lots for me to think about

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Makes You Credible? #SAVMP

Why should I give you a chance? Can I rely on you? Why should I trust you? Have you ever felt like those questions were/are the unsaid or unheard 'elephant in the room'? Over the past 3 and a half years I have been on a journey to build credibility with my staff and colleagues. I entered the school not only as a new addition to the staff, but new to the position. It seemed like I would never get to a place where people could trust me or feel like I was able to help support the staff effectively. I have to say that this has been a difficult blog for me to write. I am not sure if I have figured out the formula for credibility. At this stage in my career I find myself reflecting on my practices weekly and wondering what areas need to change. With all the recent changes,  my credibility is definitely on my mind. The more articles I read and the more people I spoke to, made me realize that I need to hone in on specific areas if I want to grow in terms of my leadership. I

Bringing Parents Into The Learning Process #SAVMP

I have to confess, upon receiving this blog challenge I resorted to research. There was a lot of literature about why parents should get involved. There were also suggestions given as to how you can get parents from middle-upper  class communities involved. Gaining parent involvement in a low socioeconomic community has always been a challenge for me (and my research did not result successfully in this area). I have been very fortunate to work with an incredible staff. Our staff continually forges relationships with the students and their parents. Keeping the lines of communication open through positive feedback and social media seems to have increased parental awareness of school information and activities. It is great to have parents commenting on facebook posts of activities in the school or even ask questions about school life. This has proven to be an open door to communication. In order to further forge relationships with parents we had to get creative. We invite them ou

Bringing About Change is Tricky Business #SAVMP

1. "It's just the kids and I." After my last post in February, I set out to make some changes because I realized that the staff did not feel empowered  and that change was necessary in order to move forward. As I searched for ways to empower the staff it became evident that some teacher's strengths were being overlooked. The methodology and pedagogy behind technology in the classroom are new to many teachers in my school.  It turns out that there are several staff members that can give digital literacy & pedagogy workshops to their colleagues. Their willingness to do so provided opportunities for staff to feel empowered and proved to be successful. Why did I bring this up? Well, it opened the lines of communication amongst staff members and enabled them to collaborate. Unit planning no longer takes place in isolation; collaboration is becoming more common place. If someone would have asked me if this kind of collaboration could occur two years ago I would have